Ellie Post: Death is a difficult thing to deal with. It effect everyone differently and it is something that I feel we never really get over or move on from. Sometimes the smallest thing can bring back the memory of a friend of love one, and sometimes the sadness of missing them is overwhelming. I liked the way this poster told of the cemetery and her thoughts/questions on death prior to her first experience with death... and how the loss affected her afterwards. It brought greater meaning to the story as a reader... If you are reading this, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story.
American Mutt: I'm a mutt too. I am half Portuguese, a little Irish, and a bunch of unknown European nationalities. I have the pale Irish skin and red hair... everyone always sees me as Irish first. Where I grew up everyone was either part Irish or part Italian, so I always associated with my "Irish blood" because it was more common amongst my peers... ... It was not until recently that I have begun to identify with my Portuguese half and question what other entities make up my heritage. My grandmother recently expressed her sorrow that I didn't care for my Portuguese past, the past she brought to me, and so I am beginning to realize the importance of understanding, and increasing my identification with this other culture, this part of me I never recognized. It is interesting how our past, our parents, our ancestors can effect our identities. If you are reading this, thank you for sharing your story!
It was interesting to read the different stories and events that have shaped peoples lives. There were some stories I could relate to and others that were entirely new to me. I'm not really sure what to say in my responses, it seems odd to post about someone's personal story, especially since they could easily read the post... somehow it is different from discussing the books we read in classes, even though those stories are often personal to the author as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment